Breast Augmentation Candidates
Breast augmentation is one of the most popular cosmetic surgery procedures in the US today. The procedure allows women to fulfill their aesthetic aspirations in terms of an enhanced breast size. However, not every woman may be a formidable or terrific candidate for breast augmentation. An experienced plastic surgeon will closely evaluate various factors before recommending this procedure.
In some cases, breast augmentation plastic surgery may have medical reasons such as breast restoration after mastectomy. Dr. Brian J. Parker is a dedicated cosmetic surgeon providing this procedure to suitable candidates in Las Vegas and surrounding areas.
Breast Implant Age Limit
Breast implants are available in traditional saline as well as silicone gel based qualities. Both types of implants have been approved by the FDA for breast augmentation cosmetic surgery. However, the minimum age limit imposed by the FDA is that the woman should be above 18 years of age for saline implant procedure, and above 21 years for silicone implant procedure.
Who may not qualify for breast augmentation?
A few women may not be considered suitable for a breast augmentation procedure. As an experienced plastic surgeon, Dr. Parker in Las Vegas will carefully review the patient’s condition on several parameters before recommending this surgery. Candidates with the following conditions will not be considered as suitable candidates for breast augmentation plastic surgery in most cases:
- The patient is inflicted by an active infection in some part of the body, which has yet to be treated completely.
- The patient shows symptoms of the presence of cancer or pre-cancerous condition that needs priority treatment over breast augmentation.
- The candidate is pregnant or breast feeding.
Aspects to Consider During Pre-op Consultations
Breast augmentation is a major procedure, and a few general physical and emotional factors may also influence the final outcome as well as recovery. It is important that the patient should feel free and discuss various aspects during the initial consultation process and provide forthright information to the cosmetic surgeon in relevant areas as needed. Some of the key aspects for consideration are as follows:
- Patient’s physical health and basic medical history.
- Patient’s innate healing ability, which may be compromised if the patient has been a smoker, drinker or has been taking certain medications which could increase the risk of bleeding.
- History of earlier breast surgeries, if any.
- The patient’s natural tendency of bleeding.
- Vulnerability to infections.
- Personal predisposition to developing capsular contracture following breast implant surgery.
Who is a Marvelous Candidate?
Patients with one or more of the following attributes could be considered fantastic candidates:
- Breast size is naturally small.
- Patient wants an increased size for aesthetic reasons, even when the original size is normal.
- Breast volume loss has taken place following a pregnancy, nursing or weight fluctuations.
- Breasts are asymmetrical.
- Breast tissue loss has occurred following a mastectomy or breast injury.
Patients with a positive outlook, clear aesthetic goals and realistic expectations will typically achieve the best satisfaction levels following a breast augmentation surgery.
If you would like to learn more about the plastic surgery procedures and treatments performed by Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Brian J. Parker by contacting us at (702) 240-9500.